Looking after a baby

Monday 5 October 2009

It is not as easy as it looks.

Next week, I am babysitting everyday for my sister as she is going to 100% own one of my dad's shop. It is going to be tough like hell. I know as I am already babysitting on certain days for almost a whole day and it takes a toll on the guardian/parent(s) looking after the child.

It is unpredictable what a baby need at certain times. Sometimes it is okay, since you know that the child might have not eaten in certain hours so it would be feeding time but other than that hard to know what the problem is.

I think the MAIN points which a baby might need is:
Feed
Sleep
Changing Nappy
Burping/Wind
Comfort/Playtime

There are probably more but my brain is not functioning 100% at the moment, but those points are about correct.

ALWAYS note down what time the baby eats! Luckily at home, we have a white board nailed on our door that we recently bought before my sister had her child. I would recommend anyone to buy some sort of whiteboard, as you can rub off the times about how much and time the baby feeds at.

Sometimes a baby wants to sit/lay on their own, we have a baby bouncer and my nephew likes to sometimes sit in there and not be picked up constantly.

If a baby cries and you have done most of the points, most likely to be WIND. It is hard to check for WIND as it sometimes takes a while for the child to be winded down. Sometimes it takes a good half an hour for them to burp. (NOTE! My nephew does not cry for over half an hour to be burped).

BE CAREFUL about breast feeding, as for a temporary babysitter, it is hard for my nephew to settle down for sleep at night without my sister's nipples now. For some reason, my nephew does not like his dummy.

I'll talk more about baby stuff about my nephew another time. Ciao!

0 comments: