Traditional Rules are crap!

Wednesday 1 July 2009

Okay, not all traditions are crap, but some chinese traditions are very stupid based on reality of today life.

We were told for the first month given birth:

After given birth you are not allowed to take a shower or bath in just water.
(So you would be soaked with sweat and blood after birth after birth and stink very bad?).

Only allowed to bath in ginger water.
(Okay, to that belief).

Not allowed to wash hair during the first 2 weeks after given birth.
(Must have very greasy hairs for those who followed that rule).

Only wash hair in ginger water
(Eew).

Not allowed to go out of the house
(Okay, to that belief for the first weeks but not for a whole month! Must feel very isolated).

Drink chicken rice wine soup and red date and nothing else
(boring drinks to do all day long).

Eat only ginger fried rice and eggs soaked in something black coloured.
(boring foods to eat it every day).

Wear socks and plenty of clothes as might get cold
(Okay with this rule apart from what if it is boiling hot at summer's peak weather? Which my sister had to suffer with).

There are probably many more rules but I forgot.

It was pretty awful time to go through during this first month. My sister became depressed with all the rules and stuck in the house with my mum badgering on about rules, rules and yes, more rules. My grandma kept coming every day to make a fresh dose of chicken rice wine soup and red date drink for her; which made my sister life miserable as she had to drink it all each day. Sometimes the drink would be just too much for her to drink it all up within one day. Whilst she was depressed moment I had to look after my nephew as she was going to a phase of not wanting the baby and how it was ruining her life. The moment lasted for only a few days as I told my sister to get everything planned on what she wanted to do after this first month was over. I think she just wanted to say it out to someone, so I am glad I was there to help her through this first month of hell of hers.

If I was going to have a child, I would move away from my home town so I do not have to do all the full traditional issues which I did not think would benefit me at all in the future. So no-one would be there just breathing down my neck 24/7 about rules.

I would not tell you which rules my sister did not keep.

0 comments: